18650 BatteriesSome things to consider when choosing a battery:
- Flat Top - The positive end of the battery is a flat surface.
- Button Top - The positive end of battery is protruding.
- Nominal Capacity
- This is the minimum capacity of the battery.
- Capacity is measured by mAh (Milliamp Hours).
- mAh is a unit for measuring electrical power over time.
- A higher mAh rating means the (fully-charged) battery can power a device that consumes more power and/or for a longer amount of time before becoming depleted and needing to be re-charged
- Continuous Discharge Rating
- The maximum current at which the battery can be discharged continuously without damaging the battery or reducing its capacity as defined by the manufacturer.
- Pulse Discharge Rating
- The maximum current at which the battery can be discharged for a short period of time without damaging the battery or reducing its capacity as defined by the manufacturer.
- Nominal Voltage
- A value assigned for classification purposes. Operation may actually be possible within a range, and the nominal voltage is often the midpoint of that range.
- Protected batteries have a small electronic circuit integrated into the cell packaging. This circuit protects the battery against common dangers, such as overcharge, over discharge, short circuit/over current, and temperature. Please keep in mind a protected battery will be slightly longer do to the integrated circuit.